Our New Youth and Family Director
Please join us in welcoming our new Youth Education Director, Dr. Liessa Bowen. Liessa is well connected as a leader among independent-minded parents in Chapel Hill and Durham, and is enthusiastic about turning her creative skills and abilities to building an exciting, boundary-breaking spiritual education program for our young people and their families -- one that young people of all ages and their families will embrace enthusiastically.
We will be creating new teaching methods as well as a newly robust program of spiritual skills and concepts that will help everyone learn how to release stressful ideas and behaviors, build healthy practices and awareness, and learn to perceive and appreciate the abundance of good in all of our lives. As a result, we envision helping our young people to deal skillfully with their own uncertainties and become confident, kind, responsible, and aware citizens.
Children and Youth at UCP
Youth and Family Ministries
As a spiritual youth community, we provide a safe place of love and acceptance where our teens and children have the opportunity to experience the awareness of their oneness with God and all of life, via age-appropriate activities.
Our purpose is to create programs and experiences that invite the Divine potential in each individual to grow and expand. Using the tools of affirmations, All Together Now Unity Curriculum, play and service, we practice Universal Truth Principles as a way of life.
Youth Education Vision and Mission
Youth Education Vision
- We envision young people growing up with a clear grasp of their spiritual nature and power, living from their ability to make a difference in the world, to express Love, to choose kindness, to relate authentically, and to model spiritual values.
Youth Education Mission
- We offer a safe and nurturing community of teachers, adult mentors, and other families.
- We provide classes and family activities that are fun, stimulating, and engaging, as young people follow their spiritual path of evolving into deeply compassionate, aware humans.
- We create opportunities for our young people to engage with community in meaningful and rewarding service and outreach.
- We prioritize supportive and fun engagement for young people of all abilities, cultures, gender expressions, and appearances.
- We support families of diverse profiles and compositions.
- We seek and welcome parent participation in planning and executing programs.
- We encourage students and families to discuss and adopt ethical and kind solutions to common problems of self-image, relating to others, and self-definition.
- We affirm the truth that this benevolent and united Universe appears in many ways to many people and that we can find and honor individual paths to expressing that divinity.
- We ask students to understand and consider what we teach, but do not require any fixed beliefs.
- We acknowledge the beauty and love in every individual, and welcome rather than judging.